Having a positive statement or some words you can call on when you have negative thoughts running through your head is another helpful thing to do. Often we get attached to negative thoughts like “I can’t do this”, “This is going to be awful”. Challenge those negative thoughts.
Find some words or sentences that help you to focus your mind in a positive way. This can help you to change the subject from worry or anxiety to hope. It is important those words are personal to you, they mean something to you and they are words you would actually use. They should be about what you want to happen, as if it is already happening – for example – ‘I am calm’ even though you may not be quite there yet. When you say the words you need to try and feel them too, so you need to focus.
Check out the list below. You may like to choose one or two statements from the list or make up your own. Repeat the words at least seven times regularly throughout the day. This might be when you remember to do it and definitely when your worries and anxieties start to creep in.
- I am okay
- I can do this
- I am peaceful and at ease
- I am calm
- I have the strength to deal with my worries/ anxieties
- I let go of my worries/ anxieties
- I am strong
- I am dealing with my worries/ anxieties
- I am in control of my worries/anxiety
- My worries are thoughts not reality
- My anxieties are thoughts not reality
- I am letting go of all I can not control
- I am accepting of my anxieties – they are just thoughts
- 1. Journal
- 2. Talking
- 3. Lifestyle
- 4. Working it out
- 5. 15 Minutes a day
- 6. Relaxing
- 7. Mantras
- 8. Accepting or fighting?
- 9. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- 10. What’s your thinking?
- 11. Thinking record
- 12. Check in with yourself and others
- 13. Who to see and what type of therapy to have
- 14. Helpful contacts