This one might seem a bit wrong but it works. If you have a worry or more than one worry, an anxiety, or more than one anxiety, spend 15 minutes of your day dedicated to focusing on your worries and anxieties. You will need to:
- Plan it. At the start of every day, plan when you will spend 15 minutes just thinking about your worries or anxieties.
- Choose a place in your home, garden, balcony or somewhere you won’t be disturbed, but feel safe, to think about your worries or anxieties.
- During your 15 minutes focus only on what you are worrying or anxious about. Really think about what is making you feel troubled, concerned or fearful and try to shut out all other thoughts.
- If you want to, you can come up with some solutions during your 15 minutes but that is not always possible.
- At the end of the 15 minutes that is it. You are not allowed to spend any other part of the day worrying or being anxious about those things.
- If you find yourself worrying or being anxious at other times during the day, when it is not your “15 minutes”, you need to say to yourself :
“That’s okay I can worry about that during my worry time. I have a time to do that later. I don’t need to do it now,” or
“That’s okay I can be anxious about that during my anxious time. I have a time to do that later. I don’t need to do it now.”
- Be strong about the times. Worry time is worry time. Anxiety time is anxiety time. The rest of the day is for getting on with living.
After a little while of doing this, you may find that sometimes you get to your “15 minutes” and what you were worried or anxious about earlier in the day has gone away and doesn’t seem so big anymore. Sit quietly and take some deep breaths because they work too!
- 1. Journal
- 2. Talking
- 3. Lifestyle
- 4. Working it out
- 5. 15 Minutes a day
- 6. Relaxing
- 7. Mantras
- 8. Accepting or fighting?
- 9. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- 10. What’s your thinking?
- 11. Thinking record
- 12. Check in with yourself and others
- 13. Who to see and what type of therapy to have
- 14. Helpful contacts