If you keep worries and anxieties inside they can start to eat at you and often they blow up into something bigger and start to overwhelm you. Talking with someone you trust helps to get those swirling worries out of your head.

You might like to talk with a friend, a family member, your doctor, a psychologist, counsellor or youth worker. If you are over the age of 16 you can generally see a health professional on your own and what you discuss is confidential. For information on how to find these health professionals see Tool 14 – ‘Helpful contacts’.

Find someone you feel:

  • you can connect with
  • gets you
  • will listen
  • you can trust
  • won’t judge you
  • won’t tell you what to do

If you would like to talk with a health professional there are a few options:

  • A GP (General Practitioner) or local doctor
  • Your community health centre (go to the website of your local council to find yours)
  • A psychologist – these are registered mental health professionals and you can get a Medicare rebate for 10 sessions per year with a psychologist
  • A counsellor – also look for a registered counsellor which means you are seeing someone who has done an approved course in counselling
  • A social worker
  • A youth worker 
Created on 19/08/2013 | Updated on 10/12/2015
References for this page

Not sure? Use our quick self assessment tool to check.

About Jean Hailes

Jean Hailes is Australia’s leading and most trusted women’s health organisation. We believe in physical and emotional health and wellbeing in all its dimensions for all women in Australia throughout their lives.

We offer a range of free resources and easy to understand information on women’s health and wellbeing. Appointments at our specialist women’s health clinics can be made in person (East Melbourne and Clayton, VIC) or across Australia via our Telehealth consultation service.

Stay in touch

Keep up to date about your health and sign up to our monthly emails.

Follow us