You may have seen affirmations on posters, in book stores, on Pinterest, at yoga classes or on people’s desks. Some will appeal to you and some won’t. Having a positive statement or some words you can call on when you have negative thoughts running through your head is a helpful tool. You can get attached to negative thoughts like “I can’t do this”, “This is going to be awful”. When this happens, having alternative words to focus on can help your thoughts to be more constructive.
Find some words or sentences that focus your mind in a positive way. This can help you to change the subject from worry and anxiety to hope. It is important the words are personal to you, they mean something to you and they are words you would actually use. They should be about what you want to happen, as if it is already happening – for example – ‘I am calm’ even though you may not be quite there yet. When you say the words you need to focus on really feeling them too.
The list here will give you the flavour of what your words need to be like. You may like to choose one or two statements from the list or make up your own. Repeat the words regularly throughout the day. You should say them at least seven times. This might be when you remember to do it and definitely when your worries or anxieties start to creep in.
- I am okay
- I can do this
- I am peaceful and at ease
- I am calm
- I have the strength
- I let go of my worries/anxieties
- I am dealing with my worries/anxieties
- I am in control of my worries/anxieties
- My worries/anxieties are thoughts, not reality
- I am letting go of all I cannot control
You may like to print these or your own words and carry them with you as a reminder.
- 1. Express yourself
- 2. Talking
- 3. Lifestyle
- 4. Problem solving
- 5. Time out to worry or be anxious
- 6. Relaxation & Mindfulness
- 7. Affirmations
- 8. Accept or fight?
- 9. Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- 10. What are you thinking?
- 11. Thinking record
- 12. Check yourself
- 13. Who to see and what type of therapy to have
- 14. Helpful contacts