While just talking with someone is not likely to cure worries or anxiety or an anxiety disorder, it definitely helps to get your worries and anxieties out into the open. If you keep worries and anxiety inside they can start to eat at you and then become more severe and overwhelming.

You might like to talk with a trusted friend or a family member but sometimes you can feel like all you do is talk about your concerns with them. You could try your doctor, a psychologist, counsellor or access many of the advocacy and support associations listed in Tool 14, Helpful contacts.

When choosing who to talk with, make sure it is someone you feel:

  • you can connect with
  • gets you and your life
  • will listen
  • you can trust
  • won’t judge you
  • won’t tell you what to do

If you would like to talk with a health professional there are a few options:

  • Your GP or local doctor
  • Your community health centre (go to the website of your local council to find yours)
  • A psychologist – because they are registered mental health professionals, you can get a Medicare rebate for 10 sessions per year with a psychologist (see Tool 14, Helpful contacts).
  • A counsellor – look for a registered counsellor, which means you are seeing someone who has done an approved course in counselling.
  • A social worker 
Created on 29/08/2013 | Updated on 01/12/2015
References for this page

Not sure? Use our quick self assessment tool to check.

About Jean Hailes

Jean Hailes is Australia’s leading and most trusted women’s health organisation. We believe in physical and emotional health and wellbeing in all its dimensions for all women in Australia throughout their lives.

We offer a range of free resources and easy to understand information on women’s health and wellbeing. Appointments at our specialist women’s health clinics can be made in person (East Melbourne and Clayton, VIC) or across Australia via our Telehealth consultation service.

Stay in touch

Keep up to date about your health and sign up to our monthly emails.

Follow us